Disability Seminar Series
All seminars will be held at The London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. External visitors are welcome to attend.
If you are an external visitor please contact us in advance of a seminar so that we can ensure you have access to the seminar room once you arrive at the venue.
Thursday 4th May 2017, 5:30pm at LSHTM. “The Guatemala National Disability Survey – Findings and Implications”. Presentations by Sarah Polack and Islay Mactaggart, followed by a drinks reception.
Tuesday 30th May 2017, 5:30 pm at LSHTM. “Social Protection and Disability”. Presentations by Morgon Banks and Stephen Kidd (Development Pathways), followed by a drinks reception.
2016/17 Seminar Archives:
- 2nd March 2017, 12:45 – 14:00, Tavistock Place, Jerry Morris B, LSHTM: Evaluating Impact: A parent empowerment training programme for children with disabilities. Speakers: Maria Zuurmond and Sarah Polack.
- 25th January 2017, 12:45 – 14:00, Tavistock Place, LG4, LSHTM: Measuring quality of life in different contexts, and implications for evaluation. Joint seminar with ICED an Centre for Evaluation.
- 6th December 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, Manson, LSHTM Keppel Street: Ebola and Disability: What are the long term implications? Speakers: Judith Glynn, Samantha Roper, Tim Colbourn.
- 17th November 2016, 12:45 – 13:45, LG24, LSHTM Keppel Street: LSHTM Student Experiences: Why Include Disability in Your Research and How to Do it. Speakers: Panel of current and former MSc and PhD students.
- 20th October 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, Manson room, LSHTM Keppel Street: Water, Sanitation, Hygiene and Disability: Are we meeting everyone’s needs? Reception to follow. Speakers: Lisa Danquah, Adam Biran, Sian White, Islay Mactaggart.
2015/16 Seminar Archives:
- 24th August 2016, 12:45 – 1:45, LG80, LSHTM Keppel Street: Building inclusive societies for people with Down Syndrome: A personal history from South Africa. Speaker: Sheri Brynard.
- 26th July 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, John Snow A, LSHTM Keppel Street: The Zika babies – what do we know and what should be done? Speakers: Professor Jimmy Whitworth, Dr Cally Tann, Dr Sarah Polack.
- 16th June 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, John Snow A, LSHTM Keppel Street: HIV, Disability and Rehabilitation. Speakers: Jill Hanass-Hancock, Hannah Kuper, Darren Brown.
- 7th April 2016, 17:30 – 19:00, Manson Theatre, LSHTM Keppel Street: Are humanitarian responses inclusive of people with disabilities?. Speakers: Professor David Alexander, Dr. Maria Kett and Dr. Bayard Roberts.
- 15th March 2016, 12:45 – 13:45, LG24, LSHTM Keppel Street: “Epidemiological Factors, including Geographic Variation, Contributing to Sensory (Hearing & Vision) Disability in the United States and Globally”. Speaker: Dr. Howard Hoffman. Video with powerpoint slides available.
- 14th March 2016, 12:45 – 13:45, LG24, LSHTM Keppel Street: “If he could speak, he would be able to point out who does those things to him: Protecting children with disabilities from violence”. Speakers: Dr. Karen Devries, Dr. Nambusi Kyegombe, Morgon Banks. Video with powerpoint slides available.
- 3rd March 2016, 12:45 – 13:45pm, room LG8, LSHTM Keppel Street: “Nutrition and Disability: a neglected relationship”. Speakers: Hannah Kuper, Maria Zuurmond and Marko Kerac
- 10th February 2016, 12:45pm – 1:45pm, room LG7, LSHTM Keppel Street: “Disability-inclusion in the workplace”. Speakers: Emmet de Monterey and Bernadette Gahan. Video with powerpoint slides available.
- 3rd December 2015: Inclusion Matters: So why is disability-inclusive WASH a neglected priority? With Sian White and Islay Mactaggart, LSHTM. Video with powerpoint slides available.
- 18th November 2015: Student Experiences: Why Include Disability in Your Research and How to Do it. Panel of former and current MSc and PhD students. Audio with powerpoint slides available.
- 5th November 2015: Keeping and Finding Families: inclusive social services for vulnerable young children in Dushanbe, Tajikistan. Jonathan Watkins, HealthProm. Audio with powerpoint slides available.
2014/2015 Seminar Archives:
- 16th June 2015: Can Disabled people fly high? Removing barriers to achievement. Dr. Tom Shakespeare.
- 12th March 2015: ME/CFS International Day. Erinna Bowman and Caroline Kingdon.
- 12th March 2015: Disability and Malnutrition in low resource settings: links, synergies and opportunities for collaboration. Dr Mel Adams.
- 26th February 2015: The Power of Sign Language. Film Screening of “Unreported World: 15 and Learning to Speak”, introduction by Diane Kingston and Panel Q&A with film’s reporter and LSHTM Researchers.
- 3rd December 2014: 16 Days of Activism Against Gender Violence & International Day of Persons with Disabilities Karen Devries, Maria Zuurmond, Israel Balogum.
- 26th November: Early Childhood Development and Visual Impairment Project
- 24th October 2014: The Globalization of Disability Measurement UCL.
- 16th October 2014: Why to include #disability in your studies and how to do it LSHTM.
- 9th October 2014: World Sight Day with the International Centre for Eye Health.
The fifth Disability Seminar Series was held in 2014/2015.
The fourth Disability Seminar Series was held in 2013/2014.
The third Disability Seminar Series was held in 2012/2013.
The second Disability Seminar Series was held in 2011/2012.
The first Disability Seminar Series was held in 2010/2011.