Using the Key Informant Method: A Working Guide
The KIM: The Key Informant Method (KIM) is is an approach to identifying children with disabilities in the community through trained community volunteers, known as Key Informants (KIs). KIM is an evolving method that has been used by ICED in a number of projects, supported by CBM.
The KIM Working Guide: We have recently developed a Working Guide (link below) to using the KIM, based on lessons we’ve learnt along the way in our use of the KIM in various settings, as well as tips for the best outcomes.
The Resources: As well as the guide itself, you can also find links on this page to a range of resources developed by ICED including training materials and programmes, data collection tools and templates. We encourage open use of all of these resources but assert that they may not be used for profit. There are direct links to these resources throughout the Guide.
Support: Whilst we cannot provide step by step assistance in carrying out a KIM, we are happy to hear from those with specific queries or who want to share their own experience with us. If you have any questions or want to get in touch, please contact
KIM GUIDE AND RESOURCES DOWNLOAD LINKS:
- KIM Working Guide Accessible PDF (PDF, 3.2 MB)
Please contact if you would like to be sent a Word.doc version of the guide.
- KI Coordinator Training (PDF, 45 pages, 1.3MB)
- Full Field Team Training Schedule (Word, 1 page, 18KB)
- Sample Screening and Assessment Protocol (Word Doc, 41 pages, 9KB)
- Bangladesh KI Training Flipchart (PDF, 23 pages, 1.8MB)
- Malawi KI Training Flipchart (PDF, 49 pages, 3.0MB)
- Disability Information and Awareness notes for KIs (Word, 3 pages, 34KB)
- KI List (Word, 1 page, 20KB)
- Parent Information Sheet (Word Doc, 2 pages, 35KB)
- Child Friendly Information Sheet (Word Doc, 2 pages 2.2 MB)
- Parent and Child Friendly Consent Form (Word Doc, 2 pages, 19 KB)
- Questionnaire – Screening and Assessment (Excel, 8 pages, 150KB)
- Questionnaire – Non-clinical Modules (Excel, 5 pages, 78kbKB)
Please note: the following resources are also available in editable PowerPoint version. Please contact if you wish to receive any of these as PowerPoint files:
- KI Coordinator Training (1.7 MB)
- Bangladesh KI Training Flipchart (2.7 MB)
- Malawi KI Training Flipchart (8.0 MB)